Mackenzie County has three volunteer fire departments. One is located in La Crete, one in Fort Vermilion, and one in Zama City. The rural High Level area is serviced by the Town of High Level under the Regional Service Sharing Agreement.
Fort Vermilion Fire and Rescue
Service Area: Fort Vermilion
Fire Chief: Neil Simpson
Deputy Fire Chief: Frank Fehr
Fire Hall: 780-927-3278
La Crete Fire and Rescue
Service Area: La Crete, Buffalo Head Prairie, Tompkins
Fire Chief: Peter Wiebe
Deputy Fire Chief: Philip Krahn
Fire Hall: 780-928-3869
Zama Fire and Rescue
Service Area: Zama City
Fire Chief: Shawn Hiltz
Deputy Fire Chief: Roxanne Tarr
Contact your local Fire Department to inquire about becoming a volunteer!
- Meet new people
- Connect with your community
- Learn new skills, enhance personal growth and satisfaction through valuable experiences
- Make a difference in the lives of others
- Contribute to a cause you care about
- Explore new areas of interest
- Be a Role-Model
- Individuals 18 years and over
- Those looking for a new challenge
- Persons who not only enjoy the physicality of the work
- Individuals who could help with administrative duties
- Those who want to give back to their community
- A copy of your driver’s abstract
- A criminal record check
- A willingness to learn
- A positive attitude
- Respond to suppression and emergency call-outs in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures;
- Respond to calls not only within the County but also those in other fire districts as defined in mutual aid agreements;
- Ability to exercise discretion and tact and to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations;
- Lift, carry, and set up equipment and materials on the scene;
- Participate in mandatory training to ensure currency within established policy and procedures;
- Be on voluntary call;
- Operate in a team environment;
- Perform Hall Duties-washing trucks and equipment, ensure that all equipment is in a state of readiness for a response, cleaning, and maintaining gear;
- Participate in promotional and community events;
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Fort Vermilion – Wednesday @ 7:00 p.m.
- La Crete – Monday @ 7:30 p.m.
- Zama – Wednesday @ 7:00 p.m.
Fees for fire services are outlined in the Fire Services Bylaw and the Fee Schedule Bylaw.