In the event of a severe storm:
- If you are indoors during a storm, stay away from windows, doors and fireplaces. Do not use corded telephones.
- If you are advised by officials to evacuate, do so. Delay may make later evacuation difficult or impossible. Take your emergency kit with you.
- If you are in a vehicle, stop the vehicle away from trees and power lines that might fall on you. Avoid unstable slopes and low areas prone to flooding and stay inside your vehicle.
- Before a severe thunderstorm, unplug appliances and listen for weather updates on a battery powered radio. Take shelter immediately and do not go out until 30 minutes have passed since the last lightning strike. If you are outdoors and are not able to get inside, look for low lying areas but stay away from streams, etc. Make yourself a small target by crouching down with your feet close together and your head down.
Your kit should include:
- Food and water (enough for everyone)
- Bedding and clothing
- Light and fuel.
- Dishes, utensils, can opener, shovel, axe, pen, paper, knife, rope, cell phone and charger.
- Personal supplies and personal documents.