Hamlet of Fort Vermilion
The Hamlet of Fort Vermilion was founded in 1788 as a post for the North West Company, this picturesque community stretches for six kilometres along the southern banks of the Mighty Peace River.
During the early years riverboats were a way of life and Fort Vermilion's riverbanks bustled with these stately vessels. Labourers manually pulled goods up the Vermilion Chutes and reloaded them onto riverboats to continue on their way. The grand entrance of the railway in High Level and Fort Chipewan divided the North and ended the river trading system. In 1952 the M.B. Watson Lake made the final commercial run to Fort Vermilion, bringing the riverboat era to an end.
Aboriginal people, represented by two major language groups, the Dene and the Cree, were the first to inhabit the area. With the onset of the fur trade in the late 1700's the aboriginal way of life changed and outside goods were offered in trade for furs, hides and provisions from the natives.
The province of Alberta was formed in 1905. The thriving trade and settlement at Fort Vermilion influenced the political decision to strike the northern boundary of Alberta at 60 degrees north latitude. In 1974 the bridge across the Peace River was opened and the region changed forever. There was no longer a need for the ferry in summer and ice bridge in winter to link Fort Vermilion with people and services across the river.
The community has preserved many of the old original buildings, including a Hudson’s Bay trading post and office and a trappers shack. The 1923 dove-tailed log St. Germain House is now the Visitor Information Centre. The Lean To Museum and Archives, built in 1995, features exhibits depicting historical life in Fort Vermilion with artifacts dating back as far as the late 1700’s.
Fort Vermilion has a handsome modern hospital overlooking the Peace River Valley. This was the first facility to service the entire municipality. The Bicentennial Park is situated along the Mighty Peace River and features a monument and time capsule from the 1988 celebration. The site of the old Roman Catholic mission hospital has been replaced by an all service RV Park, and a nine-hole grass greens golf course in Fort Vermilion features the last of the historic log mission buildings now serving as the Club House.
The Fort Vermilion Nature Trail is an easy hike along the river shore through a mostly forested area promising an incredible view of the Peace River. The trail is marked by signs on each end and is accessible from River Road.
Annual community events include a winter carnival, outdoor rodeo and River Daze.
For more information about Fort Vermilion visit:
Hamlet of La Crete
The Hamlet of La Crete is a Mennonite community started in the mid 30's and is the agricultural center of the County.
La Crete is situated in the northwest corner of Alberta and lies at the north base of the beautiful Buffalo Head Hills. A few miles to the east lays the Mighty Peace River, in all its roaring splendor and peaceful serenity. Besides the scenic hills and majestic river, we are also surrounded by forests, lakes and lush farmland. Our location provides unlimited opportunities for adventures such as water sports, hunting, camping, fishing, snowmobiling and many more.
La Crete has a unique Mennonite heritage and you won't want to miss the Mennonite Heritage Village, where our history comes to life in the many original buildings that we settled in. Despite vast growth in recent years, La Crete remains a friendly, family oriented community with a strong sense of pride in our heritage. We encourage you to come and visit us, either to relax and take in the beautiful scenery and heritage or embark on the adventure of a lifetime.
Please feel free to give us a call or email us at any time if you are interested in learning more about our organization, our community or need help planning a trip to La Crete.
For more information about La Crete visit
Hamlet of Zama City
The Hamlet of Zama is the oil center of the north and has a very active community spirit.
Okay, get out an Alberta map, you'll need one that has north of Peace River on it, rev up the engine and travel approximately 85 kilometers on the Mackenzie Highway north of the town of High Level, hang a mean left and experience bush-road travel another 63 kilometers; and at the end of that road is the small hamlet of Zama City.
The community of Zama along with Zama Lake were named after a Dene Tha' Chief, whose name was Zamba. Previously known as Zama Lake, Zama and now Zama City we are still a Hamlet within the Mackenzie County.
Our community is located smack-dab in the middle of one of the largest known oil and gas fields in Alberta. Residents are here because of this industry and are all involved somehow or another in the oil and gas profession.
As far as anyone can figure Zama has been in existence for well over 35 years. Legend states that it was initially called 'Cameron Corner' named after the first company that set up on the main street in town. Zama and its citizens are mainly dependent on the major oil companies in the area. We've had our share of them too, Hudson Bay, Dome, Amoco, Coenerco, Pennzoil, Gulf, Phillips and Apache are some of the many that have had holdings in the area.
Our community has quite a few facilities and services that serve the 250 residents as well as upwards of 4,000 transient workers. The people here are hard working and dedicated to the community. We work 24-7, to make sure that the oil field that we rely on stays healthy and in production. It's a hard life but the rewards are many. We have that 'small-town' atmosphere that offers security and safety to our citizens and children. And even though we don't have all the amenities of the big-city, we have what we need to make us happy: Honest work, great friends and above all family!
If you ever get the opportunity to visit us, make sure you look beyond the mud and the bugs, and talk to the people that call this small community "home"!
For more information about Zama City visit www.zamacity.ca
Rocky Lane offers an abundance of outdoor activities including hiking, trails and canoe rentals. During the winter, 35 km (22 mi.) of cross-country ski trails, and rentals are available. The name of this farming and agricultural hamlet comes from a narrow strip of rocks that runs through the district. The hamlet borders two Aboriginal Reserves, The Child Lake to the West and Boyer River located in the heart of Rocky Lane.
For information about the Town of Rainbow Lake visit their web site at www.rainbowlake.ca
For information about the Town of High Level visit their web site at www.highlevel.ca